Saratoga Heights Sanitary Sewer NID
The Saratoga Heights NID is a proposal to design and construct approximately 1,200 feet of sanitary sewer main and lateral connections to five properties currently on private septic systems. The main will extend from an existing sanitary manhole on Lots 18 (6 Sheffield Ct.) and 19 (5 Sheffield Ct.) in the Briargate subdivision, to the rears of Lots 10 (865 Saratoga Heights Dr.) and 14 (825 Saratoga Heights Dr.) in the Saratoga Heights subdivision. Duckett Creek Sewer District will be the agency responsible for maintaining the sanitary main.
Construction bid opening occurred for the Saratoga Heights Sanitary Sewer Neighborhood Improvement District (NID) Thursday, June 27, 2019. The estimated cost of this project was $105,000 and, per the terms of the NID formation, the costs could not exceed 125 percent of the estimated cost, or $131,250. Unfortunately, the lowest bid received was for $159,915.76, which included $25,000 in project contingency costs (contingency funds would only be used if, during construction, there were unforeseen changes required to the work or extra work is needed, such as rock excavation). The next lowest construction bid was for $232,691. Therefore, there were no bids that met the terms of the NID formation. Here is a review of the total project costs (including engineering, recording, and publishing costs) of the original estimates with the current low construction bid:
- Preliminary Estimate: $105,000 ($21,000/property)
- 125 Percent Preliminary Estimate: $131,250 ($26,250/property)
- Current Bid, no contingencies: $165,200 ($33,040/property)
- Current Bid, full contingencies: $190,200 ($38,040/property)
At this point, Community Development needs guidance from residents regarding whether they would like to proceed with the sanitary sewer improvements at a cost greater than what had initially been estimated. To discuss various options available and to answer any questions, residents of the Saratoga Heights Sanitary Sewer NID should contact Community Development and let them know of unavailable dates in the month of July. Community Development will attempt to schedule a meeting that maximizes availability and attendance. Community Development appreciates the residents' patients and hopes they can find the best outcome for this project.
For project questions, contact Keith Wheeler at 636-949-7900, ext. 7140.
- During our negotiations for easements with the out-of-district property owners, we were asked to look at alternatives to the alignment or method of construction to help reduce the disturbance to the out-of-district properties. We have completed our review of alternative engineering and construction methods. Due to cost, we will need to proceed along the alignment previously approved by Council. We are currently scheduling meetings with the out-of-district property owners to negotiate easements. Hopefully, we will be able to come to a reasonable agreement and acquire the easements at a fair value; however, if we cannot, we will need to pursue the process of eminent domain/condemnation.
- Our engineer has recommended that we perform some borings along the alignment on the out-of-district properties to determine if we will encounter rock during sewer construction. If we encounter rock, it would add cost to the project and it may cause a change in how we construct the sewer. This discussion and permission to drill will be a part of our easement negotiation with the out-of-district property owners.
- We plan to advertise for bids once all easements have been acquired.
- Please return your signed and notarized easement documents to our office if you have not done so already.
The St. Charles County Council will hold a public hearing pursuant to the Neighborhood Improvement District (NID) Act to consider the proposed improvements and assessments for the Saratoga Heights Sanitary Sewer NID. The public hearing and first reading of the bill will be held at 7 p.m., April 9, 2018, in the St. Charles County Council Chambers at 100 N. Third St., St. Charles, MO 63301. A second reading and vote on the bill will occur at 7 p.m., April 30, in the same location. The purpose of this meeting is to hear public comments in regard to the Saratoga Heights proposed sanitary sewer extension project. Written and/or oral objections will be considered at this hearing.
On Oct. 23, a workshop was held for the residents of the Saratoga Heights Sanitary Sewer Neighborhood Improvement District (NID). The workshop was held to give residents an opportunity to view the proposed sanitary sewer plans and voice any concerns they may have. The Development Review Division has asked Pickett, Ray & Silver to review those concerns and see if any modifications can be made to accommodate the concerns as much as possible. Once Development Review is satisfied with the modifications, the Division will inform the residents if their particular concerns were able to be addressed.
On Oct. 30, a final public hearing will be held on this project and the County Council will vote on the project. Once it is approved, easements will be acquired and the project will open for bids.
NID stakeholders are invited to a Saratoga Heights Neighborhood Improvement District workshop meeting to review the preliminary construction plans and to discuss the upcoming sanitary sewer installation that will impact properties located within and outside of the NID. The workshop meeting will be held at 7 p.m., Monday, Oct. 23, in Room 115 of the St. Charles County Administration Building, 201 N. Second St., St. Charles, MO 63301.
The workshop will exhibit and discuss the preliminary plans for the layout of the proposed sanitary sewer main and individual lateral hookups and the remaining project schedule. Representatives from the County and the engineering consulting firm selected to design and oversee construction will be available to answer questions and to get feedback on the design. It is important that stakeholders attend this meeting as it will be the last opportunity to notify the Development Review Division of any concerns or conflicts that may exist between the proposed construction and the existing improvements on property (such as sprinkler systems, dog fences, etc.) that may require plan modifications or that the contractor needs to be aware of.
For project questions, contact Keith Wheeler at 636-949-7900, ext. 7140.
The Development Review Division is currently reviewing the proposed plans that were submitted by the engineering firm of Pickett, Ray, & Silver. Once St. Charles County has approved the plans, these will be submitted to Duckett Creek Sanitary Sewer Company for review. Should Duckett Creek have any comments, Pickett, Ray, & Silver will make required corrections. Once St. Charles County and Duckett Creek are satisfied with the plans, Development Review will schedule a workshop with the residents within the NID of Saratoga Heights and present the plans showing the layout of the main sanitary sewer line.
The ordinance for the creation of the Saratoga Heights Sanitary Sewer Neighborhood Improvement District (NID) was passed by the County Council on Nov. 28 and signed by the County Executive on Dec. 2. Pickett, Ray and Silver have begun preliminary plans. Surveying will begin the week of Dec. 19 and take several days.