While the 2020 United States Census is conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau, states and counties—including St. Charles County—play an important role in its success.
Why is the Census so important? The U.S. Constitution mandates that the country take a census of the population every 10 years to count every living person in the U.S. Participation in the Census is required by law. First conducted in 1790, Census results are used to determine the number of congressional seats for each state and distribute more than $675 billion in federal funds, grants and other support to states, counties and communities for schools, hospitals, roads, public works and other vital programs.
Individuals can complete the Census by mail or phone, and, for the first time in 2020, will have the option of completing it online. Census staff also will go door-to-door in communities, distributing forms. Staff are not scheduled to go out into the community until mid-May, but this may change.
- March 12-20: An invitation to respond online to the 2020 Census will be sent in the mail. Some households also will receive paper questionnaires.
- March 12-Aug. 14: The public self-response period for the 2020 Census has been extended through Aug. 14.
- March 16-24: A reminder letter will be sent.
- March 26-April 3: If you haven’t responded yet, a reminder postcard will be sent.
- April 8-16: If you haven’t responded yet, a reminder letter and paper questionnaire will be sent.
- April 20-27: If you haven’t responded yet, a final reminder postcard will be sent before the Census Bureau follows up in person.
- Missouri 2020 Census Website
- Fact Sheets
- Data Visualizations
- Infographics (PDF)
- Census Careers
- Important Dates
- Questions Asked
- Who to Count
- Ways to Respond
- Response Outreach Area Mapper (ROAM)
- Census Takers in Your Neighborhood
- Avoiding Fraud and Scams
- Sample Questionnaire (PDF)
The Census Bureau is hiring Census Takers for the 2020 Census. Census positions provide the perfect opportunity to earn extra income while helping your community. Learn more and apply online.